WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPMG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkf64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: IPMG Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about IPMG lately? My sons case manager has not heard anything since the announcement. Our case manager keeps completing all of her responsibilities very well and stays positive. However, I am concerned that the state will just say affective at midnight IPMG is taking over and there will not be any transition, no choices, no oversite.....etc.
If anyone has heard anything please share.
Thanks a concerned father with a son on the DD Waiver.

hoosiermama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard yesterday (I'm not a CM) that in order to avoid the problem with choice, case management was no longer going to be a waiver service.
I also heard the possiblity of case managers beng "auto-assigned".
This is third hand information, but is what I heard.
noplacelikehome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the same thing (like you, third hand). I also heard that case management services will be minimal and that case managers will not act as advocates.

If what we're hearing is wrong, I would welcome someone from FSSA or the new CM company or ARC setting the record straight here. Anyone?
BGraves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello RKF64. The only thing I can tell you regarding your question is that things have been very quiet concerning IPMG and the contract negotiations. I can tell you that a memo was sent out by the state on 4/17 stating that the contract should be finished by July 1, but that a transition period may take the remainder of the calendar year. I can tell you from a case manager's standpoint this does nothing to comfort myself or the consumers I serve. Whether this transition takes place July 1st or by the end of the year, it is still wrong to take away a person's right to choice. If you are happy with the job your case manager is doing for your son, then please tell the state you are against the case management consolidation. Tell them you and your son have the right to choose who provides the services you recieve. Come to the rally on the 19th and voice your opinion to the Governor!!!
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard that CM services will be considered state line items, there by taking away the mandatory freedom of choice for clients. Also, auto assignment was going to happen. So far, no word about the actual process of selecting CM to work for this new company. Remember Mitch said "more hours with fewer case managers". I anticipate high case loads. A few years back, it was not unusual for AAA case workers to have almost 100 people or more assigned to them. They were lucky to get the paperwork done, little lone advocating or doing home visits.
Is anyone as depressed as I am? I am giving my people as much information as I have, which is not much. I am unable to attend the rally in Indianapolis due to some mandatory meetings, but I will be there in spirit. As much as I fear for my client’s future....I also fear for my own. I don't mean to be self absorbed...really I don't...but this is my career. I know I am not the only one that wonders what they will be doing next year at this time. We are not the best paid professionals, and I considered myself lucky to have a good company behind me that offered PTO and benefits. So now, I fear for my people, AND myself. Someone call my therapist and tell him I'll need some extra hours this week!!
Again, thank you for this forum, and opportunity to express to others our frustrations and fears about the coming months.
cjhelser

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: The Facts Reply with quote

Waiver Watchers ~

The situation of Mitch Roob & FSSA thinking they will consolidate CM services and use only state funded monies for the $15 million will not happen. The Federal match of waiver dollars including CM is 63% for every dollar spent. For $15 million toward CM, the state of Indiana would lose $9.5 million! I do not believe that Governor Daniels and/or the Democratic party is going to give away $9.5 million and fund the entire $15 million through Indiana taxpayer money. The Federal agent, CMS was quite clear that "yes," the state of Indiana can consolidate CM services BUT would lose the Federal match. So the goofs at the state are not going to spent $15 million just for CM services and lose that 63% match. But understand, the CM consolidation is miniscule to the state.....what they are really going after is the high cost of residential services. The state may lose the $9.5 million Federal match for CM services but know, they will make this up and millions more through the reduction of residential funding. This is what is so ludicrous about all this.....INARF does not recognize, that the consolidation of CM is just the method to further cut RESIDENTIAL FUNDING! If IPMG is the controller of the POC/CCBs, THEY CONTROL ALL THE FUNDING. IMPG would not be a "case management" provider.......they would be the "Gatekeeper" of the money. And IMPG is basically a contracted "state" entity. This is why Mitch Roob and FSSA came up with this plan........it's not about CM services.....it's about further cutting residential costs. But because INARF does not recognize this.....they are doing nothing to support the current CM companies. Also remember, that John Dickerson's name comes up concerning EVERY move the state makes. The ARC of Indiana is in the pocket of the state and we all know that John Dickerson's goal in life is to get rid of all "for -profit" companies.....whether that is CM or Residential. We have to remember to sniff out the stink in all this and expose it. The stink is coming from the dirty little conspiracy between the big boys who thrive on money, power and ego. But I do not fear this conspiracy because there are too many fighting this first step of CM consolidation. Keep writing on Waiver Watch, call the Governor's Office at 317/232-4567, email the Govenor, email Dan Parker, State Chair of the Democratic Party, come to the Rally, call your legislators, email Fifth Freedom Advocacy Group, call your Legislators......be radical and unpredictable. This is how government is changed.

Christina J. Helser, CEO
Ascend, Inc.
noplacelikehome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christina,

Waiver money is not the only Medicaid money that is made up of a state/federal match. State plan Medicaid money is a match of state and federal dollars, too, so I don't see why the state should care if CM is a waiver service or a state plan service--unless the match is a different percentage.

I agree this is far bigger than saving money on CM. The one company providing CM risks losing its contract if the state is not pleased with the amount of funding written into care plans; if the company loses its contract, it goes out of business because there is no other role in the state for a Medicaid waiver case management company, so how likely are they to advocate for services for waiver recipients? And, just to make sure the CM's themselves don't advocate for services that might cost the state more money than the state wants to pay, let's overwork and overwhelm them with a huge case load.
rkf64

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

hugh case loads would cause a lot of health and safety concerns I am very confident of this.
Although, my son will reside with his family till we can't provide for him I would be concerned that he would be at harms risk if the funding is cut too short. He will always need 24 hours of supports that I am very sure of.
Why would anyone want to provide CM if they would have to have 100 people on their case loads? Wonder if they would make $80,000 a year, mileage, food expenses like prior CFO was getting?
I also wonder if and when the close the institutions that the state wont request federal grant money to build new facilities and all the hight cost folks go into an institutional type setting?
Too many unknowns and no one to provide truth....I suppose that is Governement.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: