WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DDARS Communication 08/23/2006

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: DDARS Communication 08/23/2006 Reply with quote

Well, I see Adrienne Shields finally sent a bulletin asking for the CM to send information to IPMG. Bout time!! Now, they give two business days for us to copy information on each of our clients, and send to IPMG. Oh..yes, we have the option to "save postage" and drive the information to BDDS! LOL..Yeah, like THAT is going to happen! Personally, I just donít have the time for these last minute requests. They should have ask for this information WEEKS, if not months ago. Shame on IPMG for not having case conferences to meet face to face with each and every client, and their case manager to make this a smooth transition. It reeks of bad management! It smells like a rotten tuna fish! I have families calling me daily, asking what is going on, or trying to make plans for meetings to be held next month. I tell them the truth, that the new and supposedly improved Case Management company has not contacted us to ask about upcoming meetings. IPMG has not even given us the common courtesy of a phone call to tell us they are contacting our clients. Nada! Nothing!
Now, this directive from DDARS. Well...all the information they want us to supply at the last minute is available to them through Insite, and BDDS, and I suggest they start requesting that information NOW, because I just plain do not have time to meet their deadline. Nor do I have the money to make all these copies, and HAND CARRY them to BDDS! As the saying goes.................poor planning on your part does not necessarily make in an emergency on my part!
Dmom3005

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for not having time. Or the money to do all
the copying.

Donna
alwaysadvocating

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: The Switch Is Flipped?? Reply with quote

Well it appears that the "switch is flipped" and the state people and IPMG are busy as bees up there and meanwhile there are many families and people served who do not even know yet who their new case manager is. Have heard that there were case manager fairs in some areas, while in other locales the people served were just sent letters or assigned. People with disabilities and their loved ones go through enough stress, and to be left in the dark as they have been on this is just plain unfair. Have also heard that many good case managers were not even given an interview in some cases, and many with loads of experience are leaving this field. In our area we have also seen some great staff from provider agencies go to work for IPMG. This is concerning since it might hurt providers drastically and they are so vitally important. I hope all this does not turn out badly for people with disabilities and that they still have good people out there to advocate for them. On another note, I heard that the state had to put out a notice that people served could now change providers anytime in the year. This is a great development, since the state tried last fall to limit people from changing providers to once per year. Looks like maybe CMS is still putting the hammer down on them.
peoplepersonpal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a story about the changes. I declined to work for the new company even though I have a master's degree and experience in the field. Two of my former clients called last night and said they got a call from a woman who said "Hi, I am your new case manager." My former clients had never seen or talked with this lady before. What about the choice that was to be provided? I have received emails from guardians who said they have not heard anything from IPMG and are concerned that they don't have anyone who seems to be interested in helping their children. This is just what I thought it was going to be - a big screwed up mess. There was not adequate planning for this big change and like everyone has said, the clients are going to be the ones to suffer.
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, but they DO NOT automatically assign case managers! At least that is what they keep telling us. They just give someone a list of people to go see, and present them with a paper to sign. It's just lousy business to make these cold calls. "Hi, I'm your new Case Manager". I had clients calling me on Thursday night, trying to get my help in solving a problem. I had to turn them away, and refer them to IPMG, after listening, and telling them there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Nothing. I am officially unemployed, with no power to make any phone calls, or intervene in this situation. What about our people that are going through some kind of crisis right now? The new CM's will know nothing about it, or the backround. Good move, IPMG.
Didn't the state promise us that this was going to be a better, more professional Case Management service?? HA-HA!!! I know that, in some cases, CM's with years of experience were passed up for daughters fresh out of collage and people with no experience. Some of them were made supervisors! Unfair! I guess we can all sit back and watch this boat sink. I expect it to go full circle in a few years. How many of us will be around to help pick up the millions of pieces?
alwaysadvocating

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: And it begins Reply with quote

Heard that INsite was unable to be accessed on the first, so IPMG did not know how to get hold of people served or providers. People served who were supposed to get contacted that day by their new case manager were not. Also heard that no meetings are being held till the eleventh. There was a smoother way to do this, but of course then they could not have reached their September 1 deadline on their contract.

Yes, some areas had no choice of case managers, others had some sort of fairs, but had to mark three choices. Most of them still do not know who their case manager really is this weekend and Holiday. I hope all that contract money is worth treating people like cattle.

involvedparent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: can't stay quiet any longer Reply with quote

Dear peoplepersonpal, Eyeofthe Day and alwasyadvocating:

I have continually read your posts over the past several months.
Finally, this evening I had to challenge your continual negativity and
condescending nature used in your written postings.

I challenge you to question, do you really have all the facts....?
If you are so concerned as a case manager, parent or advocate, why are you spending time complaining and not providing answers to the consumers who need them so desperately. In my opinion there are always ways to provide answers or solutions in a positive, helpful manner. Please put your personal opinions and feelings aside and remember, this is not about you. Yes, it may have affected your job, or impacted you in some other way, but please be real. If you cared that much about advocating and doing what was right, you would be assisting, not complaining.
What this is about is providing supports to the population of consumers in Indiana who have developmental disabilities. Do you really think they want to hear you say you have no answers or solutions??? or that your hands are tied and you are not sure who they can contact....

Regardless of whether I agree with all of the decisions that have been made, my primary focus is to assist consumers to feel safe and comfortable with this transition. That is what is important.
Not to stir up drama due to self centered opinions and feelings.

This is just my opinion... Am certain it will be received maturely and with the thought process of true advocacy in mind.
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Involved Parent,
Glad to see you finally decided to join in this public forum! Just wanted to let you know that I have given all my past clients information on how to contact IPMG, and gave them all the information I have been given by the state. I have not received any information from the new company to pass along. I gave them all the local BDDS contact information, and also the State Ombudsman, and DDARS numbers. If IPMG would have thought ahead, and had case conferences, I would have gladly participated. Yes...it is all about clients, and what quality of services they get. But, lets face it...IPMG has not had a stellar pre "switch flip" record. I talked to everyone on my case load, and gave them every speck of information I managed to gather from official sources. The problem is....that information was a micro dot! I could use a post it note to put all the information on.
Sorry if my negativity permeated these postings. Please be assured I put on a brave front, and assured the clients that things would be okay. I didn't "dis" the new company, other than to say they had not sent me any more information to share with them. I couldn't share information that I didn't have. I couldn't, in good faith, tell them I knew someone would be in contact with them before the switch. Since, I am no longer a Case Manager, I couldn't go to the meetings, or intervene in a client/provider problem. I can only give out information.............IF I have it to pass along.
I use this forum to vent to other professionals affected by the changes. If you want me to say something positive, I can truly say that there are some good people out there on all sides. Maybe in a few months, everyone will be up to speed, and it will all be a super organization. Maybe. MAYBE.
Provider1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peoplepersonpal wrote:
I have a story about the changes. I declined to work for the new company even though I have a master's degree and experience in the field. Two of my former clients called last night and said they got a call from a woman who said "Hi, I am your new case manager." My former clients had never seen or talked with this lady before. What about the choice that was to be provided? I have received emails from guardians who said they have not heard anything from IPMG and are concerned that they don't have anyone who seems to be interested in helping their children. This is just what I thought it was going to be - a big screwed up mess. There was not adequate planning for this big change and like everyone has said, the clients are going to be the ones to suffer.

Question...
Why did you choose not to continue to work for IPMG? If you were that worried about your consumer's didn't you have the choice to stay on with IPMG and continue to be their case manager? I can't understand why you are so upset by this. They had a case manager on Thursday and on Friday they had a new one because their former case manager did not choose to stay with IPMG. Yes, I do think it is a shame that they didn't have a choice in who the new CM was. But the state threw choice out the window 3 or 4 years ago and I haven't heard near as much griping about that as I hear now. Don't forget that the state said almost four years ago that people could not chose to live by themselves due to the fact that it cost too much money for them to do so. They also told us that we had to try to put people in three and four person situations as much as possible even when people didn't want that. So this is really just par for the course...only now it affects you the case manager...where was the outcry three and four years ago...when choice was taken away then. Case managers just dealt with it just like we as providers did.

Provider1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peoplepersonpal wrote:

I have been told that the case managers that have been auto assigned are only auto assigned as a transitional case manager, to help consumers choose a new case manager. This seems to make more sense doesn't it???

EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I have been told that the case managers that have been auto assigned are only auto assigned as a transitional case manager, to help consumers choose a new case manager. This seems to make more sense doesn't it???"

What would have made more sense is to have transition meetings with BDDS, the outgoing Case Manager, and the new Case Manager. Having Case Confrences that would have served to pass along information that the new CM would not have access to by cold calling the clients.
Oh well...its all water under the bridge now. Everyone say hello to the old CM's when you go through the Walmart check out lanes!! Onward and upward!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: