WaiverWatch Forum Index WaiverWatch
an eye on the Indiana Medicaid Waiver program

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So Glad to be Out of Indiana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjhelser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: So Glad to be Out of Indiana Reply with quote

As the owner of one of the private case management companies that was put out of business due to the state's consolidation to IMPG, I must say it was the best thing that could have happened to me! I am so glad to be out of the Indiana mess. I still hear from past customers and consumers about the devastation of Indiana's Medicaid Waiver program and even heard from CMS. I have been told that IPMG can't keep case managers or even INA people. That caseloads are up to 75 - 90 some, PCP meetings and ISPs are a laugh and that IPMG can't seem to pay what employee they do have fairly or even promptly. This is what happens when you take away a "free" market and customer choice. Actually, I have seen this type of consolidation in another state who implemented it about one year prior to Indiana. And to say the least, this state is in great turmoil and the families and consumers are suffering dramatically. I've seen the damage that this type of reversal of a competitive market and free choice can do. I now enjoy working in other states providing support and experience to their waiver programs....states that still believe in supporting our disabled citizens rather than scheming the Medicaid program. It has been a true joy to once again be working with ethical, committed and passionate people who really want to do the "right" things. I wish Indiana luck....but until government ethics and a competitive market is brought back, success will not be seen.

Christina J. Helser
EyeoftheDay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Good to hear from you, cjhelser Reply with quote

I was wondering when a new post would happen, and I am happy that you continue to be involved in the Wavier. Too bad, for us, that it is in another state. My heart continues to miss the clients I served when I was a Case Manager for the Wavier program. About half the clients I had,( about 15-18 people), have called me asking for help, and asking me if there was anyway for me to be their Case Manager again. They have no faith in the current situation, and they even suspect the current CM is using drugs. Don't worry..I strongly encouraged them to call someone about that.
I continue to work as a Case Manager for an agency that works with a different population. But, I miss my people. I miss seeing them succeed. I care about them, and hope that the state will realize their mistake in investing this much responsibility in one, single, company. I have heard of CM's being over burdened with clients, too. One family ask me to come to meetings as an advocate/friend, but it would be difficult to do.
Gee, cjhelser....are they hiring in the new state you in??? LOL...Would you come back to Indiana, if things changed back to what we had here? Or, at least something better than we have now?
cjhelser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply...but I will not own or operate another company in Indiana especially under the current administration. After 25 years in the Human Service industry, I have never witnesses so much corruption in the name of serving people with disabilities and it is a disgrace. What we will see (and currently observing) is the collaspe of the Medicaid Waiver program in Indiana and it will take years for its recovery. With the collapse, the state will "throw" money at the program, make deals with investors to return and make nice for a couple of years. It's the same concept with Katrina....the government knew what destruction would occur with a large hurricane but did nothing about it. When the collapse happened, millions were thrown at the problem. It's just a vicious cycle when government wants control.....and we all know, government can't run anything. (Look at our current school systems). A free market & competition creates better services at a lower cost: proven fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WaiverWatch Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: